Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Initials

I've been thinking of my good friend C. R. Whetnall, whom I mentioned in earlier posts this month. He and his lovely wife Rosemary are coming to visit and we are anticipating it so much. CR has been lurking around this and Andy's blog asking of tales of MamaJama. Although he's got his months and years screwed up, he'll still have to wait, as she is more than a bit shy about being discussed in this venue.

After meeting and living with Rees in
Fiji we returned to CRW. I soon went to work there for Standard Laboratories and played softball in the summers. One of my close friends and employees was Carl Reilly; known by all as CR. CR and I played softball together on a tournament team; I played during the week for the CRC (Citzen's Recycling Council). An interesting juxtaposition because on CR's team I was the only white player and the least talented starter. On the CRC team I was the coach of a group of former hippies and one of the more talented players. This amount of play was soon curtailed though, as the older HLS was born that year (this month) and MamaJama needed me at home more. The CRC team transformed the following year into the CheeRs! team and many more happy times followed at play and at the bar itself.

My predecessor as Technical Director at Standard Laboratories was Dick Kelly. Dick was somewhat cocky and arrogant, but a likable man nonetheless. As we were starting our growth phase Charles Richard had some business cards made with his name shown as C. R. (Dick) Kelly. Our friends in Whitesburg, KY quickly translated that in their vernacular to "See Our Dick!" Although C.R. Kelly remained a dick, the cards were soon gone.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?